"Why is this bothering you so much, Mulder?" He shook his head. "I can't believe that everything we've encountered is alien in nature, or even most of it. Is that so wrong?" "No." "And yet, I was the one who had his head in the sand to such an extent that I failed to notice that you were in danger. And now, to be called a skeptic at the very moment when belief is called for, by a good cop who actually has enough imagination to call us for help?" The lines on his face deepened. "And I didn't help Marty at all." "We helped her as much as we could." She looked at her partner, knowing perfectly well that he'd been known to use Marty as one of his own aliases. Not that a brave young brunette woman needed any additional personal link to gain his sympathy, even with his sister found. "I found the evidence to clear her, and you did your best to get her to trust. But she preferred revenge." She looked at him steadily. "I knew it had to be a psychic link, Scully. I knew it. If I had just followed my instincts!" "That wasn't why we didn't get there in time." She sighed inwardly. "We knew about her link by then. It was believing _her_ that was the problem." "Yeah, and I'm the profiler around here." "That's not what's bothering you. Admit it. What's bothering you is that you told me your link theory, found some evidence for it, and I didn't argue. You don't like us switching roles or combining them, even though it's happened before." "I don't want to go down in history as the doubting Thomas, no. Who would? She looked amused. "I would. St. Thomas was my role model." "I didn't mean it like that." "I know." She paused. "Thomas didn't do anything wrong. All he did was say that he wouldn't believe unless he got proof. Forensic proof, you could say. And he got that proof, not a reprimand." She fingered the gold cross around her neck. "And that is probably why the Church uses crucifixes. Not because blood and gore are attractive, but because they show that this Person up on the wall really suffered."